Monday, April 27, 2009

Are you using protection?

I went to the zoo a few weeks ago. My children and I watched a turtle retreat into her shell and a lizard blend into his surroundings. Later, we learned about how an octopus, when under attack, sprays a cloud of black ink. This ink impairs the vision of it's predators and also temporarily paralyzes their sense of smell.

God provides His creations with defense mechanisms for their protection.

As humans, we'd like to think that we are a zillion times smarter than any turtle or lizard. But, the very brain that makes us different from them is typically the reason why we often find ourselves in so much trouble. For we have been given free will. Choice. When we don't make the choice to go to Jesus for our protection, we are easy prey.

Our defense mechanisms are found in the word of God. Are you using protection?

We all have different struggles with things that can keep us from being productive. Here are a few scriptures that I find useful.

1) “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind”
2 Timothy 1:7

Fear and nervousness, for me, can be paralyzing. But I'm learning to push forward through prayer and faith in God's power. Sometimes I really have to step out of myself.
Note: See first blog post. :)

2) "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phillipians 4 6:7

Worry is another one...I've been known to rock back and forth, all day, fretting about one thing or another, as if my rocking could move mountains. I have a 'thankful list' that I keep on my wall. Each day, I thank God for what we have and look to Him for what we don't. Surely, He knows every one of our needs. He provides, and I learned that being still, and talking and listening to God brings about a beautiful peace and gets me much farther than rocking does.

3) "A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

I used to pride myself on being right and 'winning' an argument. Oh, I could shut somebody DOWN! But there are rarely winners when names are called and feelings are hurt over something that really could have been left alone. Holding my tongue has to be THE hardest thing. But my time is too precious to waste on foolishness. And, I've learned that when I don't entertain it, but hand it off to God, the drama goes away.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12

The battle is spiritual. Wrap yourself in God's protection and get about His business!






No comments:

Post a Comment